Thursday, March 22, 2012

Error 8115 in Enterprise Manager when I want to shrink my attached Database

Hallo everbody,
I get Error 8115 "... Arithmetic overflow convertion numeric in datatype
numeric ..." when I want to shrink my database after attaching to sql server
2000.
No error occurs when I shrink my database with the query analyzer.
No error is reported when I try DBCC DBCHECK on the database.
So, whats the problem for the Enterprise Manager?
It's not only on my PC ... it occurs on other PCs too after attaching the
database to sql server 2000.
Any ideas?
Thanks und Greetings
MartinMy guess is a programming mistake in either EM or DMO. Does this happen when
you open the shrink
dialog or when you press "OK"?
Is it a large database? Does it have many database files?
My guess is that EM or DMO executes some SQL statement that causes an overfl
ow in the SQL code,
quite simply. Perhaps there's a KB article on this. Did you check? I ran pro
filer when opening the
dialog, and I can possibly see why an overflow can occur if you have strange
figures in sysfiles, or
if you have many or large database...
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
http://www.sqlug.se/
"Martin Schmeller" <martin.schmeller@.mcs-ag.com> wrote in message
news:exSk8soDFHA.3824@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hallo everbody,
> I get Error 8115 "... Arithmetic overflow convertion numeric in datatype
> numeric ..." when I want to shrink my database after attaching to sql serv
er
> 2000.
> No error occurs when I shrink my database with the query analyzer.
> No error is reported when I try DBCC DBCHECK on the database.
> So, whats the problem for the Enterprise Manager?
> It's not only on my PC ... it occurs on other PCs too after attaching the
> database to sql server 2000.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks und Greetings
> Martin
>

No comments:

Post a Comment