Sunday, February 26, 2012

Error 3036 during Backup

I encounter this error during backup from a log shipping secondary server. I've set up log shipping between a production server and a secondary server, all work fine. Now I want to use the secondary server or the warm standby server to do complete databas
e backup every night, since I want to off load the backup from the production server, however, I get this error message for the DB backup job:
"
[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3036: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Database 'aspnetforums' is in warm-standby state (set by executing RESTORE WITH STANDBY) and cannot be backed up until the entire load sequence is comple
ted.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
"
My settings are:
the restore job runs from 10:15am till 8:45 am next day, then the DB backup job starts at 9:10am. So the two jobs are not overlapping each other. However, even if I manually run the back up job at times after 9:10am, it fails with the same error message.
I am wondering if there is any extra setting I need to set to make it work.
Thank you for any help
You cannot backup a database that is in a non recovered state such as one
that you are log shipping too. Even if you recovered it and backed it up and
then restored it with no recovery, you would break the log chain
HTH
Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org
"Yi" <s_anyi@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9C44B865-DF9C-4C0F-9814-95EA3EC1E1F7@.microsoft.com...
> I encounter this error during backup from a log shipping secondary server.
I've set up log shipping between a production server and a secondary server,
all work fine. Now I want to use the secondary server or the warm standby
server to do complete database backup every night, since I want to off load
the backup from the production server, however, I get this error message for
the DB backup job:
> "
> [Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3036: [Microsoft][ODBC
SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Database 'aspnetforums' is in warm-standby
state (set by executing RESTORE WITH STANDBY) and cannot be backed up until
the entire load sequence is completed.
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is
terminating abnormally.
> "
> My settings are:
> the restore job runs from 10:15am till 8:45 am next day, then the DB
backup job starts at 9:10am. So the two jobs are not overlapping each other.
However, even if I manually run the back up job at times after 9:10am, it
fails with the same error message. I am wondering if there is any extra
setting I need to set to make it work.
> Thank you for any help
>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment