Friday, February 24, 2012

Error 26 on a local machine

I am getting the "Error Locating Server/Instance Specified" message. The part I find most confusing is that I am connecting to my database locally. I have read the recommendations on the blog posted here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2007/05/13/sql-network-interfaces-error-26-error-locating-server-instance-specified.aspx


and implemented them to no avail. The confusing part is that I only have this problem on one particular application, which I am not the original author of. When I build my connection to the very same server (different database) using the Data Source configuration wizard, it works just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same error and did the same thing according to your link. Thx.

|||

You said everything is fine except one application which you don't originally own. Can you post the connection string used by the application? Are you able to connect to the same server using SQL Management Studio? Are you app using .Net, SNAC(sqlncli), or MDAC? Thanks.

|||

I must ask your forgiveness. I realize now that I there were two connection strings. One for regular database usage, the other for Session state, it seems. After changing the other I am able to connect to my local one. Thank you for your reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment