Friday, February 24, 2012

Error 29503 - SQL Server 2005 DB Engine install Fails

Hi, I've just tried to install SQL Server 2005 Standard and I'm getting an error that I can't find any information on. In the log, I find Error 29503. A message after it indicates that it couldn't start the server.

In the setup, I'm getting the error when it is trying to start SQL Server and it can't. I've tried to go to the services window to manually start the engine, but immediately after it starts, it shutsdown again.

I read the help file in MSDN that is also included in the error details regarding manually starting the service. It indicates to use the Configuration Manager, but at this point in the installation, the instance of the server is not visible in the manager.

One other thing of interest is that I did have SQL Server 2000 installed, but I removed the installation. There was a SQL Server Native client left in my add/remove programs that I didn't uninstall because I wasn't sure of where it came from.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.Sorry I can't solve your issue, but I can join your pain ;-(
I tried to install SQL 2005 Standard on my machine and got a similar problem. Below is an excerpt from the log file:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Product : Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Product Version : 9.00.1399.06

Install : Failed

Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0010_ MYMACHINE _SQL.log

Last Action : InstallFinalize

Error String : SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: {Microsoft}{ODBC Driver Manager} Data source name not found and no default driver specified Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information. For details on how to view setup logs, see "How to View Setup Log Files" in SQL Server Books Online.

Error Number : 29515

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyone out there from Microsoft ready to help? PLEASE.

|||On an additional note, I've tried to install SQL Server Express as well and it is giving me the same error. I have also tried removing everything related to SQL (including the SQL native client) and I am still running into a brick wall.

Does anyone know what this error indicates? The weird thing is that it looks like it installs fine, it just can't start the DB engine. Is it doing some wierd check that wouldn't allow it to start? If so, I can't imagine what it would be.

Again, any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.|||We've seen this happen in two particular cases:

1) There was an older version of SQL Native Access Client (SNAC) on the machine
There was a bug in an earlier (early Pre-RTM) build of SNAC that prevented it from being upgraded. The solution here is to completely remove SQL and SNAC from the machine and rerun setup. SNAC will have a separate entry in Add/Remove Programs so be sure to remove it doing so after you've removed all of the other SQL Components.

2) Norton Firewall 2004 on Windows 2003
This is a problem with Norton that causes problems starting the SQL DB Engine service. It's been reported to Symantec but I'm not aware of any fix for it. My understanding is this only happens on Windows 2003 which is not a supported platform for Norton Firewall 2004. Norton Firewall 2006 doesn't support Windows 2003 either. The work around is to disable or remove Norton Firewall from the system prior to installing SQL Server. This is not an issue on non Windows 2003 platforms.

Dan|||Thanks for that information. I'll look at my machine. I'm pretty sure I don't have a problem with the first issue, however I have just recently upgraded my machine from Norton Internet Security 2004 to 2006 and this includes their firewall.

I will attempt to disable it and reinstall.|||Hi,

I managed to install my SQL2005 standard after about 10 tries :-(
Here are the things I tried:
Remove everything that was installed for SQL2005,
Then install it piece by piece, that is I started with the native client, no tools or books.
When this was succesfull, I installed the DB services, then the tools and at the very end the books.

However, also this procedure did not work the first time. It seems that everytime I removed it (about 4 times) it cleaned up a little better.

Finally it worked. After that I installed VS studio 2005 w/o the SQL 2005 express and all works fine.

It does however, leaves me with an uneasy feeling because I don't know why all this happened.

I suppose that Microsoft will have an update for SQL 2005 soon to fix all these issues with installation.

Good luck to all of you.
Gerhard|||Hello,

I experienced the same error while installing SQL Server 2005 Express, but found a different solution. I must say, however, that your post kept me from loosing all hope and giving up.

You will find my post in this group with the title
Possible Fix SQL Server 2005 Express Install Errors 29503 or 1067

SQL Wizard

|||Thanks for your response SQL Wizard. I'll try that and let you know how it goes. By the way, I was doing everything you mentioned except for starting the service as local service. I was attempting to install using local system.

Dan,
I tried disabling Norton Internet Security and I still had the same problems. However, this time, I came across some errors in my event logs. I can't get them right now, but I'll post them later today when I get can.|||John I have the same problem with an SQL Server Standard installation. Have you trobleshoot it?|||Please search for the post above by SQL Wizard. That helped me out with my issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment