Sunday, February 19, 2012

error 25 trying to connect to sql server database on local machine

Hi. I have an IIS web site built using Visual Studio 2005. I'm trying to add
a database connection via a GridView, but I keep getting the following error
when I test the connection:
"An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not
valid)."
The SQL Server (2005 Developer edition) database is on my local machine, so
I don't understand why the message indicates the problem is with a remote
connection. I've searched every forum on this error message and tried
everything suggested but with no success. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks.
Thanks for your reply, Jonathon. I found a tutorial on asp.net that
approached the connection from a different angle. Instead of trying to
create the connection via the ViewGrid control, I attached the database by
right-clicking on the Database node in the Server Explorer and attaching it
there. I was probably supposed to do it that way all along but the
instructions I was following didn't make it clear. Anyhow, it's working now.
Thanks.
Gina
"JPD" wrote:

> Hi,
> Can you access the server using Management Studio? Have you checked in
> the Services control panel that the SQL Server services is indeed
> started? Have you tried restarting the SQL Server service? Have you
> checked the SQL Server error logs and the Event Viewer System Log for
> any errors?
> Also have you checked in the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration for
> Services and Connections that remote connections are allowed for your
> data engine?
> Jonathan
>
> ginacresse wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment