Monday, March 19, 2012

Error 7201: Permissions problem?

Hi there

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if someone could help out.

I am marked as "dbo" on a SQL Server database. Attached to this DB is a
publication. When I right click > properties SQL Server gives me Error 7201

Any ideas as to how I can get over this? Is it permissions related?

ThanksRandall McMurphy via SQLMonster.com (forum@.nospam.SQLMonster.com) writes:
> I am new to this forum and I was wondering if someone could help out.
> I am marked as "dbo" on a SQL Server database. Attached to this DB is a
> publication. When I right click > properties SQL Server gives me Error
> 7201

That is: "Could not execute procedure on remote server '%.*ls' because SQL
Server is not configured for remote access. Ask your system administrator to
reconfigure SQL Server to allow remote access."

> Any ideas as to how I can get over this? Is it permissions related?

No, it's a configuraiton issue. I have not seen the message before, and
the message is a little strange. Which server needs to be configured? The
local server or the remote server? But since I cannot think of any
configuration on the local side, it's probably the definition of the remote
server that is wacko.

Do sp_helpserver on the linked server, and make sure that all of these
are enabled: rpc, rpc out and data access. If they are not, use
sp_serveroption to set these on.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment