Friday, March 9, 2012

Error 5149: Not enough disk space

Newbie question:
Importing a 25,000,000 record .csv file into SQL2000 fails
with a disk space error. I go into sql enterprise manager
to increase the size of the database and it will only let
me go to about 4000 MB. I need about 30GIG. At 5000 MB
enterprise manager says:
Error 5149: ModifyFile encountered operating system error
112 (There is not enough space on the disk while
attempting to expand physical file).
I have 50GIG free on that disk.
What am I doing wrong'"Ben Silvert" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1be701c39fc7$d4faa450$3101280a@.phx.gbl...
> Newbie question:
> Importing a 25,000,000 record .csv file into SQL2000 fails
> with a disk space error. I go into sql enterprise manager
> to increase the size of the database and it will only let
> me go to about 4000 MB. I need about 30GIG. At 5000 MB
> enterprise manager says:
> Error 5149: ModifyFile encountered operating system error
> 112 (There is not enough space on the disk while
> attempting to expand physical file).
> I have 50GIG free on that disk.
> What am I doing wrong'
It's possible that you are either running out of transaction log space (on
either the target database) or on tempdb -- check that you have enabled
database file autogrow, or have size the database large enough to hold the
imported data (my preference).
If this fails, you may want to watch the server os page file (performance
monitor) in case the os is swapping out memory to disk...
Steve|||I'm getting this error when I go into properties of the
database, Data Files tab, Space Allocated (MB) column. I
try to change the entry from 4000 to 5000, and it gives me
the 5149 error. I'm not trying to import the data, yet.
When I tried before to import the data it failed with a
message the Primary File Group ran out of space. So I
deleted the database, made a new one, and tried to set the
data file size, to no avail.
The database is set to grow automatically, and it grows
unlimited.
>--Original Message--
>"Ben Silvert" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>news:1be701c39fc7$d4faa450$3101280a@.phx.gbl...
>> Newbie question:
>> Importing a 25,000,000 record .csv file into SQL2000
fails
>> with a disk space error. I go into sql enterprise
manager
>> to increase the size of the database and it will only
let
>> me go to about 4000 MB. I need about 30GIG. At 5000 MB
>> enterprise manager says:
>> Error 5149: ModifyFile encountered operating system
error
>> 112 (There is not enough space on the disk while
>> attempting to expand physical file).
>> I have 50GIG free on that disk.
>> What am I doing wrong'
>It's possible that you are either running out of
transaction log space (on
>either the target database) or on tempdb -- check that
you have enabled
>database file autogrow, or have size the database large
enough to hold the
>imported data (my preference).
>If this fails, you may want to watch the server os page
file (performance
>monitor) in case the os is swapping out memory to disk...
>Steve
>
>.
>|||Could it be the version of SQL? I have the personal
edition?
>--Original Message--
>Newbie question:
>Importing a 25,000,000 record .csv file into SQL2000
fails
>with a disk space error. I go into sql enterprise manager
>to increase the size of the database and it will only let
>me go to about 4000 MB. I need about 30GIG. At 5000 MB
>enterprise manager says:
>Error 5149: ModifyFile encountered operating system error
>112 (There is not enough space on the disk while
>attempting to expand physical file).
>I have 50GIG free on that disk.
>What am I doing wrong'
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment